We have extended our deadline for applications for our “Artist in Residence” opportunity; please do pass on this information to anyone who might be interested.
The Friends of Rowntree Park are looking for an artist who is studying in York (at post-16 level), who would like to spend time in Rowntree Park and express their experiences in some form of art, to include material displayed in an exhibition at the Reading Cafe.
Do you know a new or emerging artist who would benefit from this opportunity?
- Application is by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), attaching a written proposal (maximum 1000 characters including spaces) as a pdf. In your email, please state your name, the art course you attend, and the school/college/university you are studying at. If you are under 18, please state your age. Your proposal can also include a single image, also as a pdf.
- We are looking for applications from students studying in York at AS/A2 level, foundation or degree level.
- Your proposed artwork(s) should be new and site-specific, relating to the park in some way. Your proposal should make it clear how the work would relate to the park. You will probably wish to visit the park (and the cafe) before applying, if you do not already know the space concerned.
- We have three local artists lined up to consider the applications, in the context of the park and the cafe.
- We expect the successful artist to spend further time within the park, in order to engage with the space – and be ‘in residence’, as the title suggests; the amount of time will be agreed with the artist. We will be able to organise an area within the cafe, where you could work in the warm and dry – with coffee supplies nearby!
- The proposed art works can be of any media, within the practical constraints of the display space; it may be that some pieces would be suitable for outside display. Art works must be suitable for all ages, as the exhibition space is open to all.
- Application deadline is midday on January 26th: the winning artist will be announced on February 16th 2018.
- The successful artist will be offered an exhibition in the Reading Café, Rowntree Park, with the local press being invited to attend the opening/private view. Dates of the exhibition to be confirmed, but we anticipate that it will be in summer 2018, and that it will last at least a month.
- The successful artist will be offered a grant of £250 towards materials and other expenses.
For more information or to apply, please email email@example.com